Celebrations and smiles at Sheffield Girls' as pupils receive GCSE results
The pupils and staff at Sheffield High School for Girls are celebrating outstanding GCSE results with 50 girls achieving the equivalent of at least eight straight A*/A grades.
This is the first year that pupils saw a mixture of letter and number grades, which have been introduced as part of the reformed, more challenging examination content.
In English, which was marked with the new numerical grades, Sheffield Girls’ were delighted that over 50 girls achieved grades 9-7 in both English Language and English Literature. In IGCSE Mathematics, 70% of the cohort achieved A*/A grades.
It was an outstanding year for languages with 100% A*/B achieved in Chinese, French, Greek, Italian, Russian and Spanish. Equally, in performing arts, the girls achieved 100% A*/B in Drama and Music.
Commenting on the results, Headmistress, Valerie Dunsford said: “I would like to congratulate all our pupils on achieving such an excellent set of results. It is wonderful to see the girls of all abilities doing so well and we are enormously proud of all of them.”
- Maria Novikova from Fulwood is celebrating with a grand total of 13 GCSEs graded at A*, 9 or 8 grades. Maria is already one step ahead after achieving an A grade for A-level Russian last year. Maria is a member of the school debating team who reached the finals of the Oxford Schools debating competition this year. Maria is also a highly accomplished violin player and dancer.
- Mia Carter from Fulwood, a talented hockey player who joined the England Hockey Performance Centre Programme in 2017 secured an amazing 10A* grades as well as a 9 in English. Mia has also won an academic scholarship to Sheffield Girls’ Sixth Form.
- Sheffield Girls’ were celebrating the amazing girls who achieved top grades in all their subjects. The following girls secured a minimum of 8 A*/A grades or 9-7, the equivalent of A*/A and we are enormously proud of their outstanding results: Dima Abdelhafiz, Megan Armswood, Olivia Bollington, Olivia Billard, Alice Buchanan, Lucy Buchanan, Isobel Budgen, Mia Carter, Safia Cecchini, Pippa Chapple, Charlotte Cummings, Hannah Edwards Anya Grayson, Megan Hornsby, Saskia Huxam, Mia Harrison, Lily Henderson, Jess Holtum, Muskaan Hussain, Elisabeth Kearsley, Caitlin Illlingworth, Carys Johnson, Emily Jowle, Sophie Judge, Emma Kerry, Emily Marks, Isabel Martin, Scarlett Miskin, Penelope Morris, Maria Novikova, Clarissa Pieri, Courteney Plester, Neha Ray, Charlotte Savage, Niamh Sibley, Kimran Singh-Sall, Laura Smith, Saskia Smith, Violet Spence, Ava Tahvili, Sophie Thompson, Sophie Village, Sana Wajid, Charlotte Wattam, Hannah Wright, Fu Ge Yang
- Hannah Wright from Endcliffe the youngest of the three Wright sisters, all of whom have been educated throughout Sheffield Girls’ Junior and Senior School is over the moon with her straight A*/A grades. Hannah is a member of the hockey team and a has excelled in leading younger age teams to success. She also competes for the school in trampolining. Hannah’s elder sister Jessica was also celebrating last week after receiving her A-level results and gaining a place at Nottingham to read Medicine. Emily, the eldest of the three sisters is currently studying Medicine at Birmingham.
- Avreeti Kumar from Fulwood has achieved 10 A*/B in her GCSEs, following in the footsteps of her older sister Arushi who last week celebrated straight A* grades in her A-level subjects. Arushi is off to University College London to study Medicine.
- Isabel Martin from Fulwood has achieved 8 A*, one A and one B grades and will be celebrating with her sister Hannah who achieved straight A*/A grades in her A-levels. Hannah will study History and Modern Languages at Cambridge.
- Saskia Huxham from Broomhill has achieved an amazing set of results with 10 straight A* grades. Saskia is a nationally ranked athlete, specialising in middle distance. She is currently placed 10th in the UK for Under 17 800m and has represented the county at numerous athletics and cross country events. She has also found the time to achieve Grade 7 with Distinction in Flute. Saskia has won an all- rounder scholarship promising her a place at Sheffield Girls’ Sixth Form.
- Double delight as twins Michelle and Alice Pun achieved an outstanding 22 A*/A grades between them. Michelle and Alice from Endcliffe are both promising musicians.
- Twins Alice and Lucy Buchanan from Fulwood have achieved a combined total of 21 A*/A grades. Alice, an accomplished actress, has gained a subject scholarship in Drama for Sheffield Girls’ Sixth Form and Lucy an outstanding gymnast, who has performed at numerous national finals in gymnastics and trampolining has achieved an academic scholarship for Sheffield Girls’ Sixth Form.
- Pippa Crossland from Crosspool is excited for what the future holds as she prepares to move to Liverpool to take up her place at Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (LIPA). Pippa achieved the equivalent of 10 A*-C grades in her GCSEs. Pippa has already begun forging her career as a singer songwriter having performed in a range of competitions and two years ago released a fundraising single for the Children’s Hospital Charity.
- Fu Ge Yang who joined the school in Year 4 from China gained the equivalent of 11 A*/A grades. Fu Ge from Nether Green is a vibrant and friendly member of the school community and has been a source of inspiration and help to many of our other international students.
- Sisters Emily and Olivia Jowle from Stannington are celebrating after Emily matched her elder sister’s straight A*/A performance at A-level. Emily has achieved the equivalent of 11 A* and one A grades in her GCSEs.
- Carys Johnson from Maltby has achieved the equivalent of 9 A* and three A grades, Lily Henderson also from Maltby has achieved 10 A*/B grades in her GCSE results and Dima Abdelhafiz from Moorgate gained 11 A*/B grades.
- Laura Smith from Chesterfield gained 9 A*/A grades and 9s in English. Laura is currently a regional netball player within the England netball talent programme. Laura has also represented the school at regional and national badminton finals. Jessica Holtum from Baslow has achieved 9 A*/B grades. Jessica excels in tennis, badminton and trampolining and was part of the U19 team who won the National School Trampolining finals. Sophie Judge from Castleton has is delighted with her straight A*/A grades in her GCSEs. Sophie is a talented horse woman and is part of the school equestrian team.
- Charlotte Cummings from Doncaster has achieved 11 A* and one A grade. Charlotte is a Grade 8 violinist and has been awarded the Year 11 Alex Reid memorial prize for kindness and a sixth form scholarship.